Supporting Learners with Additional Needs
Our learning team believes that our site and learning offer should be open to visitors regardless of their access needs.
With this in mind, we offer a wide range of facilities to support students with access needs (visual, hearing, learning and mobility) and are working with the Creating Tomorrow Multi Academy Trust to ensure that our learning programmes are as inclusive and accessible as possible.
All learning sessions incorporate object handling and can be adjusted to meet the needs of students with special educational needs statements in mainstream settings.
We understand that the needs of all students are different so please contact us so that we can discuss how we can best support your students.
Support we can offer
Our team is happy to support your students as appropriate. This includes (and is not limited to):
During our sessions
- ensuring the student is seated in a position best suited to their needs
- wearing a microphone provided by you
- adapting our printed resources (either the size, the colour of paper or with sufficient notice in braille)
- allowing the accompanying adult to sit with the student to quietly explain activities and information on a one-to-one basis
- setting up our learning space to accommodate any wheelchairs/mobility equipment
Supporting students with emotional/behavioural needs
- We are aware that students may need to take a break. Just ask the team member leading the workshop if you would like some time-out to sit quietly or if you would like to move with the student/group to another space. If you are taking a student for a break please ensure there is adequate supervision for the rest of your students.
- We will always adhere to any behavioural strategies in place to support a student. Just let the staff leading the workshop know - we will always take our lead from you. We will always encourage students to show respect for themselves, others and museum objects
Supporting students with care needs
We respect your students' right to privacy and dignity and make every effort to create the most appropriate setting for their needs. Just ask the staff leading the workshop.
Due to the practical and handling nature of our sessions if you have a student with allergies, or sensory difficulties please let us know in advance and we will be happy to wipe down all surfaces and/or substitute materials as appropriate.
There is always a trained first aider on duty to support any medical situations which might occur during your visit.
If you have any queries or concerns about any of our sessions, please do contact us via our firstname.lastname@example.org